Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

tenderness under rib cage on left side

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
hi, my name is kristina and i am a 26 year old female. since october of 2009 i have had tenderness and sometimes a throbbing pain under my rib cage on the left side. it's especially tender when i press a particular spot. i went to the er back in october of 2009 because i was uncomfortable and i was having horrible pain for days in that area. they took xrays and told me that they couldn't find anything except for maybe it being a possible bowel blockage. i was told to take laxatives. i went home and took some laxatives like they told me, but it never helped. the worst of the pain had gone away since, but i still have that tenderness and sometimes the throbbing pain there everyday. in the last week i have been starting to feel spasms in that same spot. they seem to happen about 3 times a day. it almost feels like something is moving in there. what could this possibly be and should i be concerned? thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2010
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. From the symptoms there are many possibilities which need to be ruled out one by one. It can be due to disorders of spleen, pancreas, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney stones, pneumonia, musculoskeletal pain, obstruction in colon, lower rib fracture and malignancy. Irritation of the nerves supplying this area can also cause pain. Irritation can be due to nerve compression or pinching due to any spine related pathology.

In females, ovarian cysts can also cause pain in abdomen usually in lower part but it can be a referred pain in upper abdomen also. So ovarian cysts also have to be ruled out.
Confirmation can be done only after ultrasound or CT abdomen. Blood tests and colonoscopy may also be required. I suggest you to consult a physician for this. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 14th, 2012
I have the very same symptoms. My doctor eventually had a CATscan done, told me I had mild diverticulitis and a possible infection, and put me on antibiotics. The drug gave me diarrhea, constipation, oral thrush, and C-diff. I was given additional antibiotics for the C-diff. I also had a 2nd Catscan done that revealed no diverticulitis related problem. I still have the side pain as you do, yet no doctor (I've seen several) will ever go down the list of possible causes listed here, and test for each one. I have to call, make an appointment, tell them that the pain is still present, suggest to THEM what it might be caused by, etc. This is nuts, not to mention expensive and time consuming. I love modern medicine, but it creates as many problems as it cures, and doctors often STILL don't listen or act as you would hope they would.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 2nd, 2012
Hi everyone, I have the same problem too. I went to see my doctor last week and all she did was pressing my rib and then told me to get a urine test. She prescribe me antibiotic called ciprofloxacin and I still feel the same. I'm just tired of going back and forth. My primary doc here @ fort benning GA don't seem to wanna spend time to get to know me and address all of my concerns. She seems to be in hurry all da time. Every time I go see her example last week.... I made an appointment for my abdominal so when I asked to kina take a quick look T my eye omg!!!! She literally told me that oh well the appointment was made for abdominal. She starts pressing corner of my eye and said I'm gonna let da eye doctor know and then she grab her papers ang walked towards the door. I kina got upset cause she was standing in front of the door while the door is open and started to ask question about my eye. I think that's really not professional. Right?? What would u go if ur doc does that to you??? Please I need dome advice.. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 29th, 2012
I also am a 26 year old female having the same problem. Some days it
Is not as bad as other days but it almost always feels at least
Like a pressure or dull ache. I have had kidney x-rays, ct scan with
Contrast and bloodwork. I was sent to a urologist who ran tests and
Still no one can find anything. I am so tired of going to doctors and
Accruing medical bills when nothing is helping me get better. I would appreciate any
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2013
left sided abdominal pain and tenderness
I am 48 and have had the same symptoms for years. My most painful "attacks" are accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Sounds like Diverticulitis but no evidence of infection was found. Colonoscopy revealed diverticuli and a very inflamed section of my sigmoid and ascending colon. Inflammation is of unknown origin?
Some days the pain is so bad I can't stand to have my clothes touch it. It is very frustrating, I know.
Wishing you all the best of luck.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.