Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Tender area in back below rib cage

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
I have tender areas (both sides - but more so on the right side) which only bother me when pressure is applied. I never thought anything of it unless I was getting a massage since it was painful if they touched that area (lower back below rib cage).

Just recently the massage therapist said there was a small lump on the right side which caused pain when she touched it. She said there was one on the other side but not as large.

This may not be relevant but I NEVER drink water, nor much fluids my entire life. I'm trying now. Also, I used to take Tylenol nearly every day for 10 years (migraines) which I heard was bad for the liver.

Any suspicions?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2011

Hello and thank you for your post on e health forum.

Analgesic usage over long periods as in your case can result in analgesic nephropathy.

It is caused by long-term use of analgesics, especially over-the-counter (OTC) medications that contain phenacetin or acetaminophen and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen.

Risk factors include:

1. Use of OTC analgesics containing more than one active ingredient

2. Chronic headaches, painful menstrual periods, backache, or musculoskeletal pain

3. Emotional or behavioral changes

4. History of dependent behaviors including smoking, alcoholism, and excessive use of tranquilizers.

You might consult a urologist for tests including urinalysis and a ultrasound which will help to know the exact cause of your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.