Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Temporary hearing loss and sinus infection

Must Read
Different types of hearing loss originate in different areas of the ear or nerves. How does the ear work? And how do doctors define hearing loss?...
Hearing loss has many causes. Learn which causes you can avoid, and who is at risk of developing hearing loss here....
Do you have trouble understanding others when they are talking? Do you miss the phone ring? Recognize hearing loss early and know when to seek medical help....
I recently developed severe congestion in my head and behind my ears. After a few days, I went to an ENT doctor, who prescribed Biaxin antibiotics, along with several nose sprays, and cipro ear drops. The doctor had said, upon examination that yes, there was a wax buildup in one ear - which she removed, and that the other ear was all red, and about to explode.

THe question I have is - because the hearing loss is worse after 5 days, how long will this take to subside? Will it be necessary to relieve the pressure and release the fluid, by inserting a needle into my ear? Is this dangerous?

How long before this hearing loss becomes permanenta/

Thanks so much.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

From the description provided it seems that you may be having a condition called as Glue Ear or Serous Otitis Media.

Serous otitis media describes a collection of fluid in the middle ear. This may be acute (not lasting for a long time) or chronic (lasting for a long time).

Chronic (Long standing) otitis media , as in your case can occur due to long standing eustachian tube blockage or thickening of fluid, due to which it cannot be absorbed or drained down the tube.

Symptoms can range from ear discomfort, pain, slight reduction in hearing and irritation.

Treatment of the condition can be done with medications including antihistamines and decongestants and nasal sprays. In long standing cases, a small surgical procedure involving placement of a ear tube in the ear drum (tympanic membrane) may be required to facilitate drainage of the fluid.

You might consult with your primary doctor or a ENT doctor who can examine you and provide specific advice and treatment.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.