Hello there. I was diagnosed with asthma around the time I was 11 yrs old. It was exercised-induced, but with just an emergency inhaler, was never an issue. Probably about the age of 14 or 15, was the last time I had ANY type of Asthma. Until this year, 11 years after my last symptom. I had a horrible Sinus Infection, that then went to a chest infection, then to Asthma. I was put on steroids at the end of the chest infection to clear up my lungs, and also on the antibiotic. After that I seemed great(that doctor diagnosed the wease with bronchitis). But I seemed all better.

Then i was good for about a week after the last day of steroids. Then over the course of the next 4 days it got harder and harder to breathe. Went to the allergist, as I need an updated allergy test anyway. When I went in, I did the lung test, where you blow through a machine. I registered at 11% total lung function. After 15 minutes on the nebulizer, it increased to 13%. I was given steroids again, as the lung function was SOOOO low, i needed anything to open it up. I was given a daily inhaler as medicine(forget the name, but similar to the purple thing). I was also given a rescue inhaler. Well i took this for a month, and it was working great. Had 100% lung function.

I ran out of the prescribed medicine, and never got around to going back to have it either re-filled, or have a new medicine prescribed. I travel for work, and had a busy time. What really kept me away was that i didn't need anything. I had gone about 5 months, nothing so much as a single cough. Now, out of nowhere, unrelated to any illness, it came back. It's been going on for about a week, where i started with 100% lung function, and based on previous tests, and where I am now, I have about 20-25% lung function. It is ok, although I can't do too much at one time.

I have an appointment with my Asthma doctor on Monday, but I am not sure if I can make it til monday without something. I am also going to my regular doctor today, just to get steroids if I need them. I am hoping to not need them, so that my asthma doctor can see the problem first hand, and see if there is anything else he can do. SO, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make it through the weekend without having to use the steroids. I won't use them until I need them, but I'd love to be able to use something just to make it the few days where i am now. I never have any attacks, it is just a steadily decreasing in lung function. As I said, 5 months, just fine, I could even ride a bike, exercise, run, etc. without even so much as a tickle in my lungs. I was thinking maybe Vapor-Rub, but I am getting mixed reviews of whether this helps or not.

Thanks for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
Asthma is a respiratory disease and is very common and there are two types of asthma namely, allergic asthma and non-allergic asthma. Some of the common allergens that can cause asthma are chemicals, drugs, smoke, dust etc. Non-allergic asthma can be caused due to anxiety, dry or humid weather, fear of something etc.
I Given below are some of the very effective homemade remedies for asthma.

1.Ginkgo biloba is herb that contains ginkgolideB that is extremely useful since study show that it decreases the frequency of asthma attacks.

2.Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 can treat asthma efficiently as it decreases the inflammation in the lungs and thus makes breathing easier.

3.Vitamin C can increase the amount of oxygen reaching the lungs and reduces inflammation.

4. Make mullein oil in the form of tea and drink it, this will fight against respiratory congestion.

5. You can also use a powerful mixture of herbs called Shuan Huang Lian.

6. In case you're exercising triggers asthma attacks then you need to decrease the amount of salt in your diet. Along with this you need to take 2000 mg of Vitamin C an hour before you start your workout.

7. Eat salmon at least three times every week and take capsules made of salmon oil.

8. You can also use Pau d'arco that is an antibiotic as it helps in reducing inflammation.

follow these tips.please and take care.
|

replied December 31st, 2011
Experienced User
Asthma is sometimes life long disease. My uncle is asthma patient and he have the allergy of dust and smoke. He always avoid oily food. because cough is the main reason for asthma and therefore, He is very careful about the food which will produce the cough in our body. Inhaler is the best medicine that she use for temporary relief.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....