Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Teeth hurt when touching plastic things

I've asked my dentist about this but they seem to just blow it off or think I'm exaggerating.

Whenever I touch or see some plastic things (Lego bricks, plastic drinking cups, etc.), my bottom teeth start to hurt towards the roots. It's always been this way, and the exact same thing happens with my mom with the same kinds of plastic objects. Not all plastics things do it, but it's especially bad with little things and plastic toys.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I haven't been able to find anything about it. My mom and I speculate that it could be some sort of chemical used in making those specific kinds of plastics, but we're shooting in the dark.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you may want to talk to a neurologist----could be someting with your nerves
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2008
Supporter
you dont need a neurologist or a dentist just don't put those things into your mouth teeth are made for grinding food no for play with lego and toys ...
|

replied June 28th, 2010
Me too!
I get that too! Drinking out of plastic cups at music festivals is awful. Have you found any explanations?
|

replied July 21st, 2010
Hi All!
The liquid in the plastic cup may contribute to your pain or sensitivity also. If you have cracked tooth or cracked/chipped fillings, the liquid which is cold and sweet can penetrate through that area to the nerve inside your teeth. You can try to use straw to see if that help. The dentist will give you a better diagnosis.
|
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....