I know I have a problem with my teenage lying but I'd like feedback on the severity of the situation. In the past I have caught her misrepresenting herself on Facebook. She 'honestly' explained this one time to me as not feeling she was interesting enough of a person as is. We discussed this quite a bit and I continued to monitor her account and felt we worked through this.
Unfortunately, she recently lied to close friend about needing a severe medical procedure. In addition to the act of dishonestly, I find the subject disturbing. I am also worried about her state-of-mind as she's overwhelmed herself in embarrassment over the situation.
I just want to help her through this. I'm researching therapists but could use immediate advice.

--concerned mother
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2009
Supporter
it sounds like she likes attention!
i do think it would be a good idea to find a therapist to get down to the root of her problem.
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2010
im a 15yr old girl, and ive lied a lot to my friend, just to keep up with them, yes i know its wrong, and she proberbly does aswell, i just wanted to say tread carefully with the therapist idea because if my mum turned round and said to me she wants me to see a therapist i would proberbly take that as an insult and it cod possibly destroy my relationship with my mum, you have said that you have talked about it with you daughter, if she was willing to tell you that she thought she wasnt an intresting person, i would take this a really strong relationship coz i no some of my friend wont talk to their mums about what they are feeling. to me it sounds like she is just fitting in, if the lying gets more serious then consider a therapist but talk to her first.

you should just try talking to her and discussing what she feels and comfort, coz being a teenagert is hard and if i could talk to my mum like she can talk to you i would find it so much easier.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is due to personality disorder. She would need psychiatric assesment for clarification.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Teens , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.