Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Teen depression causes

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could have so i can ask the doctor when I go?

Symptoms:

--Migraine headache; defined by throbbing, dull ache, easily annoyed, grumpy/grouchy, stomach ache, vomiting, dizziness, blackouts, stumbling/tripping, can't eat, low blood pressure, sensitivity to light and sounds, flu-like symptoms without fever, often not relieved or improved by medicine, only can be helped if I take hydrocodone/and rest,sleeping, waiting it out. Ibuprofin/advil yield no relief. Mild migraines approx. happen every other week, Severe happen once a month to every other month, I have timed these and I can find no visible pattern relating to my menstrual cycle so I don't think they are hormonal.

--Emotional; mood swings, bouts of depression, withdrawn, sensitive, easily annoyed, lack of interest in things, distraction, crying

--Random; lack of interest in friends, feeling that head is going to explode often with muscle contortions, claustrophobia, hate when people touch me, everyone talks too loud, stomach aches whenever I eat anything, even though I am not "full" so-to-speak, easily bored, hard to amuse, trouble staying awake, trouble focusing, lack of interest in schoolwork that I once had, don't care about grades or trying hard, stressed, giving up, distracted/difficult to learn.

--Muscles; Had a two-month bout of nightly nocturnal calve cramps, happened in the wee hours of the night and made me cry out in pain, often lasted several minutes and sore for a day. Feeling of tenseness in muscles of hands and feet and feel the need to contort and twist them in strange ways, "headache" feeling in random muscles that prevent me from sleeping and doing things, cramps in feet not brought on by exercising

--Joints; occasional random joint pain particularly in knees and ankles, brought on by exercising

--Sinuses; have had two sinus infections, one of which was not "cured" by the antibiotics, and was then diagnosed as migraines. I suffered sinus headaches for 2 years, now being called as misdiagnosed migraines, and post-nasal drip for about 3. Even after treatment for sinus infection the post-nasal drip did not go away. This eventually went away but I do occasionally get bouts of it now.

--Menstrual; sharp, piercing pain in pelvic area associated with painful urinating happens approximately every 6 months and not related to cycle, but I think this could be Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Also: Very heavy periods, Very light periods, periods with no blood (just brown), Irregularity. Skipping months, or two in one month.

--Acne; Since age of 10 on back, neck and face, have tried salacylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, retin-a, benzaclin, and proactiv to no relief. Currently using clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide but still suffering, been on regimine 2 months and skin has still not completely cleared up. It is moderate-mild, not very bad but there are still lots of small pimples, enlarged pores, blackheads on nose and sides of nose, and chin. Benzoyl two times a day is not drying skin out!

--Medicines; for migraines have tried Maxalt, Zomig and Midrin. Midrin has occasionally yielded relief, but not always.

--Eating; Can't eat cheddar cheese, taquitoes, mozzarella sticks, mcdonalds food, or anything thats really greasy or cheesy. Can eat mozzarella plain, but not breaded. Can't eat peanut butter, because it causes migraines. Sensitivity to bananas (sometimes can eat, sometimes make me gag). I don't eat any fruits, because I don't like them. I can have chocolate with no problems, but things with sugary creams, marshmallows or excessive visible sugar makes me sick. I can eat chicken, vegetables, and most carbs with no problem, both simple and complex carbs. I am pretty much a carboholic.

I am 14, and I am not overweight. I look healthy and have met all fitness levels.

Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Take this list to a doctor! Really- print it out, and just hand it to the doctor. That's your best bet.
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2008
Wow! I agree, you have done a great job at keeping a detailed list so it will be handy to give a copy to your doctor.

I have PCOS and I would say that your menstrual symptoms do sound very PCOS-like but they will have to run some tests for that.

Good luck with your doctors visit.

Best wishes,

Heather
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Re: Teen depression, migraines, menstrual cycle irregularites, h
Migraine headache; defined by throbbing, dull ache, easily annoyed, grumpy/grouchy, stomach ache, vomiting, dizziness, blackouts, stumbling/tripping,

Emotional; mood swings, bouts of depression, withdrawn, sensitive, easily annoyed, lack of interest in things, distraction, crying

distracted/difficult to learn.

cramps in feet not brought on by exercising

Joints; occasional random joint pain particularly in knees and ankles, brought on by exercising.

That's me Shocked Shocked Shocked
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
The inability to eat fruit is a big clue, there is something called food texture hypersensitivity or something along those lines which makes it hard for people to eat foods with certain textures like potatos or apples mainly because of their skins or the general texture of them. The up shot of it is that its caused and strongly linked with allergies so that would be a good place to start looking.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
Sounds like me....Exactly like me. Was worse last year
|

replied May 17th, 2010
If someone could reply to this it might be able to help me. I believe it waslast month I had really bad depression that lasted 3 day I didn't want to come out of my room to talk to anyone and suddenly I was fine on the fourth day and today coming to the end of a period cycle i've been depressed for about 8:30 pm and still depressed kinda now(11:08pm) any thoughts?
|

replied May 17th, 2010
If someone could reply to this it might be able to help me. I believe it waslast month I had really bad depression that lasted 3 day I didn't want to come out of my room to talk to anyone and suddenly I was fine on the fourth day and today coming to the end of a period cycle i've been depressed for about 8:30 pm and still depressed kinda now(11:08pm) any thoughts?
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....