Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Tearing pain in the ankle

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am 21 years old. I grew up partially overweight, and began serious dieting and exercise when I was 11. I am no longer overweight, and have not been since I was 13. I was never involved in any academic sports between then and now other than Kung Fu here and there. I am very active, and enjoy snowboarding, free running (parkour), longboard skateboarding, running, biking, and surfing. I drive very often, and I work retail 5 days a week. This involves standing for multiple periods of 3-5 hours per day with no sitting.
My problem is that my left ankle (not my right) is in pain. It is a tearing pain in the outer, lower part just below the ankle. It hurts when I stand, move, or sit if I have been active.
I would like to continue my pursuits, but I am afraid that this is cause for serious concern.
My ultimate and common goal is to save some money and get it taken care of asap. What kind of doctors or therapists should I consult? Any tips for care in the mean time?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2011
Especially eHealthy

Pain is the body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Since you are so active, you know what work-out type pain is. That discomfort is okay, but if you have intense, sharp pain, or pain that last s for several hours after the activity has ceased, that probably isn't.

With you being so active, in pounding type sports activities and being on your feet all day, one would have to be concerned that you may have developed a stress reaction or stress fracture in one of the bones of the foot.

To determine exactly what is going on, and if it is serious enough to warrant immobilization or surgery, you should probably see a podiatrist (DPM - Doctor of Podiatric Medicine or Foot Doctor) or an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon (MD or DO, with 6 years of specialized training). Either will be able to take x-rays and examine the foot to determine a diagnosis. Both are able to perform surgery on the foot. It is usually a preference of the patient.

Good luck.
Did you find this post helpful?