Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Tuberculosis Forum

TB skin test. can I be infected without symptoms?

Hi. I am an international student studying in the US. I have been accepted to do an internship for a high school in NY and I was told that I had to do the TB skin test. Given the fact that I am from A country which is NOT among the high risk countries and all children are given the BCG vaccine. My TB skin test turned out to be positive though I do not have even a single symptom of TB. I was told that I had to do an CXR. I am literally having a nervous break down. Though I know that I am fine but I am still wondering if there might be a chance of having the infection without any symptom??? Please help !!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2014
Hi there. I was tested myself back 17 years ago and my skin test was positive at the time. However since I had bsg vaccination as a child, the doctors assumed that my positive skin test was due to that and told me not to worry about it since my lungs were clear at the time. After many years I got sick and I was diagnosed with tb. So long story short, it is possible that you actually have the tb bacteria in you and it is just waiting for your immune system to go down to take over your lung. It is very important for you to take a blood test and that will show if you really have it or not. But you can carry the bacteria for 20 even longer years and never get sick. Less than 10% of people who carry the tb bacteria actually get sick. So please make sure you take care of everything before it's late. Thank you
|
Did you find this post helpful?