Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Body Modification Forum

tattoo over a vitiligo spot???

tattoo over a white spot???
gud idea
bad idea
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1
hey!!i hav had these white patches around 4 of em on ma feet for around 14 years now.i m 21 n they have sort of ceased to grow since the past 7 to 8 years.i had em on ma face 2 but that got cured.now for the feet i want to get a tattoo done over it n i consulted a good tattoo artist who thinks he can camoflauge the whole spot.also i asked him if it was a bad idea to get a tattoo done over a white spot n he told me that many doctors themselves recommended the tattoo artist for scars,white spots n other unwanted marks...i m all for it although i m a lil apprehensive,n want 2 see a doctor before i get it actually done.i surfed the internet not very thoroughly though n there are sum negative signals coming ma way.cud neone of u show the way!!
waitin fr a reply...
thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CharChar2171
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Supporter
Wow, it was really hard to find information on this. Based on what I have learned from visiting roughly a dozen websites, I don't think you should get a tattoo. According to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, "Micropigmentation (tattooing) is rarely recommended. It works best for the lip area, particularly in people with dark skin; however, it is difficult to perfectly match the skin, and tends to look worse over time." Instead they recommend using self tanners. "Sunless tanning preparations may be used to darken the vitiligo a more acceptable color. These will cover small areas of vitiligo well." One other thing to consider is this: some people with vitiligo experience pigmentation loss after a cut or scratch to an area. So, I don't know that it's a good idea to purposefully have needles applied to the skin.
But that's just my opninion. It's something to think about, anyway. God luck with whatever you decide.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
thanks for the reply.but i guess i was misunderstood.i didn mean gettin a skin matching procedure wth a tattoo artist rather i meant a proper tattoo procedure with not a skin coloured ink but with something else probably a black which is strong enough to hide the spot.i hope i dont sound foolish here.but the tattoo artist told me sum doctors recommended the same...
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Supporter
In that case, I see nothing wrong with having a tatto done over the spots. It seems a little extreme to me when there is another option available but if you want one, I say go for it.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
hey I have that too and I was wondering if you had gotten the tatoo done cause I have been peeking around on here too and I have it on my ankle and was wanting to hide it cause I m self consious of it so w/b and tell me if you had it done
thanks, carla
|

replied October 2nd, 2010
tattoo over vitiligo
I have had a tattoo over a large white mark on top of my foot. I do have vitiligo on my fingers and wrists but use makeup. The tatto on my foot is lovely but the only thing is when I get a tan in the summer the white mark shows through the tattoo. I am hoping that when my tan goes that the tattoo will look normal again. My tattoist said that I might have to have the white bit enhanced again. Time will tell.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2010
Community Volunteer
Personally, I would get two opinions from two different dermatologist before proceeding.

Zig
|

replied October 19th, 2010
If you have not lived with vitiligo, it is hard for you to understand what covering those spots mean. I have had it for over 40 years and have just decided to have my lips and hands tattooed. I have dark skin and hope that it will make me feel better about myself.
|

replied October 24th, 2010
i have white marks on my left eyebrow(the hair in that part has also lost its colour), right under my nose(one side) and on my one side of my lip. they are all around 1-1.5 cm wide. i usually take hair colour, apply it to my eyebrow and under my nose. it leaves my skin darker in those spots(i have dark skin) so it almost matches my skin colour. i have been using that to cover it for the past 5 years(im 1Cool. SHOULD I GET A TATTOO ON SMALL SPOTS LIKE THOSE?? AND WHY IS IT BETTER TO GET IT DONE ON YOUR LIPS?
|

replied November 18th, 2010
Hi Ceci,

I am suffering with the same condition (Vitiligo). I have a few spots underneath my lip and on my stomach. Is it possible to get the name of the cream? How do i get the cream? A quick response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all you do Ceci!

PJ
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied November 21st, 2010
HI ceci,

My brother has the same issue, could you pls help us ?

Thankx in advance,
Sam.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
hello there people with vitilgo, i have vitilgo and i use melanocy tablet , its preety effective but its shows poor response to finger palm where u dont have hair normally

Raj
|

replied August 31st, 2011
hello there people with vitilgo, i have vitilgo and i use melanocy tablet , its preety effective but its shows poor response to finger palm where u dont have hair normally

Raj
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Hi there, I have had vitiligo since I was 3. Have I 1 inch in the middle of my forehead, my whole stomach is covered and both of my legs from my kneecaps down to my ankles. Have tried makeup but didn't really work, and recently tried self tanning which works a little but can still see them. I have come 2 accept who I am, and don't really care what other people think. I did stop doing sports like swimming and football but just seem 2 get on with it now, no matter how many looks I get. We are who we are.
|

replied June 25th, 2013
there is paramedical tatooing done in Toronto on vitiligo. I know a person who had it done and color match was nearly perfect
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
God only knows how i deal with this thing called vitiligo. i pray that it will just Go AWAY!!!
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2016
If is really in dire need of tattoo, this good tips may work: choose a few colors. Apply each of them to your skin. A slightly darker color than your natural skin tone might be a good idea to execute. Micro-pigmentation will work amazingly perfect if you have darker skin tone. It will be much less noticeable than that pure white color on vitiligo skin. If you have undergone tanning process, you have to wait until all the tan results disappear, because your skin color may vary
|
Quick Reply