Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

taste/smell had been impaired by bleach exposure

User Profile
Hi Doctor,

Two days ago, I used undiluted thick bleach (chlorine) to clean my bathroom. It is a small area, lacking ventilation. It took me a bit more than 1 hour to finish, during which I was exposed to this chemical. Soon after that, I noticed that my taste/smell had been impaired and it hasn't recovered yet. I am scared that I have damaged the sensory epithelium and I am worried if I will ever get my full senses back again. Could you please help me? Is this serious? Is there something I can do?
Any information would be much appreciated! I'm 25, healthy and never had this kind of issues before.

Kind regards,

Asimina


Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2015
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A51561
Welcome to e health forum.

It is likely that inhalation of bleach fumes might have irritated your nose (which contains the olfactory sensors) and this has affected your ability to smell.

Your perception of change in your taste could be related to the smell defect. It is unlikely that bleach fumes can damage the Taste buds in your mouth.

This is likely to be temporary and will resolve within a few days time. Just relax and wait it out for a few days and your senses should normalize soon.

In future, if you have similar issues, use a face and nasal mask while you clean your toilet. Use of saline drops to clean your nasal cavity might also help.

I hope this helps.


|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.