I'm a 29 year old female who 6 months ago had surgery to remove a 2cm breast cancer from my right breast. They also removed 4 lymph nodes of which only the 1st one was microscopically infected with a couple of cancer cells. Bone & CT scans were all clear so no spread. The cancer was responsive to estrogen/progesterone but negative to HER2. It was a grade 2 cancer, therefore i end up being stage 1b.
I went through chemo after my surgery and now have started tamoxifen once per day. My questions are: can tamoxifen cause lower back pain? I started tamoxifen and back pain began, then i had to stop tamoxifen (for a mastectomy i chose to have recently) and the lower back pain went away completely. Now I've started it again and the lower back pain has returned. My oncologist seems to think its ok as my bone/ct scans were fine. He's also done a CA125 blood test only because i complained of a sore lower back, but that test was negative so its not that. I know tamoxifen has many symptoms but im not sure and failing to understand why i have this symptom. (i also have hot flushes) Another question i have is, im having a lot of fertile(like egg whites) cervical mucus and don't know why. I think tamoxifen is causing it but why? Also haven't had any periods since the start of chemo about 5 months ago.
Thank you in advance...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 9th, 2013
You probably won't have a period until you stop taking the tamoxifen, if then. I have had one episode of spotting since December 2008 when I was in the midst of chemo. been taking it for 4 years. Still have hot flashes. Brown or white discharge is one of the common side effects. low back and side pain are listed in the less common and rare side effects so that's probably where it comes from. Good luck. I am so waiting for my five years to be up, but they have threatened me with five more years because of recent studies. I nearly cried! But better than the alternative so I guess I shouldn't complain. Your cancer sounds almost like mine except that i had 2 lymph nodes and some small tumors around one of them (really tiny).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....