Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Taking St. John's Wort

I have suffered from chronic depression my entire life and I had to stop taking Lexapro about 2 years ago for my future career choice. I have been taking St. John's Wort the last few months but I was taking the stuff that was hypericin extract. I didn't noticed much difference so I switched to the stuff that has hyperforin extract. I was wondering if I could take both of these supplements together instead of one or the other?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile starship33
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2009
Supporter
herbs are great but understand it takes time for it to work it's magic. i wouldnt take both at the same time. and it also states that he works for mild depression, so if you are severely depressed it might not work well.
you have to research st.johns worth on the net and the doses that recommended. theres other herbs you can take with it like 5-htp & sam-e. i just read that its better to take hyperforin instead of hypericin. please research these herbs for yourself find about the any clinical trials, and the side effects.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
I too have fought depression since I was 10! I'm now 50. After trying SAM-E and hating it [I felt completely removed from life], St. Johns has truly changed my life. But I found that the dose they recommend of 1-300 mg 3 times a day (because that is what the original clinical trials used) is totally inadequate for me. I first increased it to 2-300 mg 3 times a day which was better. Eventually I went to 3-300 mg 3 times a day and there I've been for 5 years with no ill effects. I have never been so even keel and happy. If I were just starting out, I think I would try it twice a day as the dosing would be easier [every 8 hours is sometimes demanding and I find it's important to space it properly]. I have heard of people taking it twice a day. To me it is a miracle -- you should always start out slowly, give it about 6 weeks and then try increasing it slowly if you don't get relief.
|