Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

Taking Naproxen and Crohn's disease

User Profile
My friend has crohns disease. She recently went to the doctor for her back he prescribed her with naproxin for pain. She is afraid to take it. She doesnt want her crohns to act up. Can she take this medication or call her doctor for something else?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Crohn Disease Answer A10469
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether naproxen may be consumed by individuals who experience Crohn's disease.

Naproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID) which is used in the treatment of pain and inflammation during rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, juvenile arthritis, tendonitis and bursitis, for the management of pain and for management of primary dysmenorrhea (painful period). It has several gastrointestinal side effects including: heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, dyspepsia, and stomatitis.

According to the data that you described, it seems likely that your friend experiences Crohn's disease and back pain. She may consider taking naproxen only when experiencing severe pain. NSAIDs affect the stomach (gastric) lining more often and may cause ulcers and bleeding out. It usually doesn't affect the bowels, but may cause diarrhea as a side effect, which doesn't mean that Crohn's disease is reactivated (no microscopical changes of the intestine lining are reported in individuals with no underlying intestinal condition).

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your friend to see her doctor for further advice and information about the usage of naproxen by individuals who experience Crohn's disease.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Crohn Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.