Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

taking methadone seeing him fluctuate with multi-vitamin use

User Profile
my husband has been taking methadone for 3 years for opiate withdrawal treatment. along with this he takes alot of vitamins. i have noticed lately that if he forgets to take his vitamins in the morning, he is falling asleep standing up, very achy and sick feeling by evening. is this normal with skipping vitamins once you have gotten used to taking them every day or could this be some kind of underlying damage from the methadone. i am not allowed to go to his doctor visits with him and he doesnt like to talk about any of it. its like the vitamins are keeping him up now rather than the methadone and when he runs out he bottoms out. what can u tell me about what the methadone might be doing to him that would cause him to require massive amounts of vitamins to just feel normal. there is a big drop in his energy when he is even a couple hours late taking the methadone, i am familiar with all of the ups and downs with that stuff but now i am seeing him fluctuate with multi-vitamin use

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2012
Vitamins Answer A29920
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

With regard to the need for vitamins, taking large doses, do not provide instantaneous physiological effects. It may be giving him a psychological boost to help him do his routine work.

Since Methadone detoxification treatment of your husband has been done for 3 years for opiate withdrawal, it would be time to assess if he still needs it or not. He will have to consult with his treating physician, with regard to his current symptoms. It is difficult to assess the cause of his symptoms without a complete medical history and a examination in person.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vitamins , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.