Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Taking birth control with tranexamic acid?

Hi everyone,
I’ve had prolonged bleeding for 3 months which seems to be induced by stress. I haven’t had a normal period since it started. My uterus lining is thick and I didn’t ovulate last month when they did a transvaginal ultrasound.

The doctor prescribed Lo Loestrin Fe birth control and I’ve been on it for a month but the blood is still coming. It can be quite heavy and comes with big blood clots.

My doctor said I could try a low dose of tranexamic acid which will help stop the bleeding. But I’m so terrified of blood clots since I’m over weight and on birth control. Should I just take it? Has anyone taken it while on birth control?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2018
Welcome to this forum.
You can take tranaxaemic acid with oral pills. This is a common combination and in therapeutic dosage, there is no risk of getting clots. But this is a bit surprising that you still have persistent bleeding even after pills. You need to be evaluated clinically and by blood parameter, for any other problems inside you. You need to be screened for clotting factor deficiency and thyroid disorders now.
Hope I can address your query. Please visit your doctor if there is any further confusion as without a clinical examination it is not possible to opine through an online medical forum.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.