Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

tablets and precautions that I should be taking?

User Profile
Hello Doctor,

I am 24 years old, and have noticed my hair line receding from the temple. I also notice some hair loss during shower as well as on the pillow in the morning. Although it seems genetic since my father and grandfather had the same problems and are now completely bald, I have heard that finasteride(1mg) has proven to be a savior for many like me. Please guide me regarding the intake of these tablets and any precautions that I should be taking to avoid further hair loss.

Thank You in advance..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A40858
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
You can consider going ahead with visiting a dermatologist to have further evaluation done to look for the exact cause. The androgenic hairloss or male pattern baldness cannot be altered as in few cases it is determined genetically. The hairloss that occurs in this case is mostly due to lack of the androgen particularly dihydrotesterone (DHT) levels. The lack of this hormone shortens the lifespan of the hair causing it to fall off pre-maturely and also leads to failure of production of new hair. You might also have elevated levels of 5-alpha-reductase which is responsible for conversion of free testosterone into DHT. Hence use of drugs affecting the 5-alpha-reductase help in control of hairloss. High levels of Insulin Growth Factor (IGF-1) might also cause increased hairloss. Discuss about these factors with your treating dermatologist and go ahead with getting these hormonal levels tested to look for the underlying abnormality. External supplements or medication use can be started based on your investigation results to help you control the hairfall. Be in regular follow-up with your treating dermatologist.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.