Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Symptoms simular to poss gallbladder???

I am a woman, and 27 years old.

I have been having upper right abdominal pain just below my ribcage for the past month on and off.

I have had a couple of very strong stabby pains, once and the beginning of January and midway through Jan again.
I went to my gp, and explained where pain was, Urine was taken as it was suspected right kidney, but no infection was found.

Ever since I have had a dull ache which feels kinda like I have been kicked in the ribs/bruised type pain slightly crampy/like a stitch. It's really hard to explain. sometimes it eases off, but comes back.

This past week the pains have been literally everyday, sometimes more intense/sharp. I am getting spasms throughout everyday now...and it's getting me down.

I went to my gp again a week ago today, and she done an examinations finding my upper mid and right areas painful when pressed. She suggested an ultrasound to check my gallbladder, but I have to wait till march for this. I had bloods done for liver function and these seemed to come back ok.

I don't know if it is ok to be feeling this pain everyday, or whether to inform my doctor? Will it be ok to wait till march?

have also lost approx 6lbs recently... no sure why...I never diet as naturally slim.
was 122lbs at 5ft 9, now only about 116lbs. I don't drink alcohol.(very rare occasion)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the history provided, your symptoms seem to be due to inflammation of the gallbladder which usually can occur due to gall stones.

Though your LFTs are normal, you do need a ultrasound of the liver and GB for proper diagnosis.

Waiting for a month or two will not have much change in the prognosis of the condition. But you may have to have recurrent attacks of abdominal pain due to the colic.

Some points for Conservative management to avoid symptoms include:
1) Avoiding mental stress and overstrain

2) Avoid eating special food and deep-fried, and fat free food.

3. Be on a gall stone specific diet.

4) Lifestyle and Dietary habit changes: Paying attention to regular meals on time; Avoid excessive food and/or drink at one meal. By eating right, one can avoid formation of gallstones and also flush out the existing ones.

You might seek consultation of your doctor if you have additional doubts.

I hope this helps.

|

User Profile
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

From the history provided, your symptoms seem to be due to inflammation of the gallbladder which usually can occur due to gall stones.

Though your LFTs are normal, you do need a ultrasound of the liver and GB for proper diagnosis.

Waiting for a month or two will not have much change in the prognosis of the condition. But you may have to have recurrent attacks of abdominal pain due to the colic.

Some points for Conservative management to avoid symptoms include:
1) Avoiding mental stress and overstrain

2) Avoid eating special food and deep-fried, and fat free food.

3. Be on a gall stone specific diet.

4) Lifestyle and Dietary habit changes: Paying attention to regular meals on time; Avoid excessive food and/or drink at one meal. By eating right, one can avoid formation of gallstones and also flush out the existing ones.

You might seek consultation of your doctor if you have additional doubts.

I hope this helps.

|

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

It's good to be reassured.

I hope they find something on the ultrasound, just so they can get to the bottom of it and get rid of this pain. I'm dreading that nothing shows and that I'l have to have other tests, but I will try to stay positive and hope for a good outcome.

Thanks again!
|

replied April 6th, 2011
I had my ultrasound and it showed that I have a polyp inside my gallbladder.. I am awaiting my appointment with the GI surgeon/doctor on Monday.

My pain has been more absent the last few weeks with the odd reoccurring few days where it comes back. It's so hard to explain.

I guess that the doctor will go through what happens next, but my gp said that they may want to do an endoscopic ultrasound to see the polyp better.

Wish me luck!
|

replied April 27th, 2011
With your gallbladder. stick to Rice, oatmeal, bananas, dry toast, apple sauce, simple things. I had mine removed and before that i had stabbing pains like you did. Simple foods are best. Junk food will make you hurt like hell! Including to many cokes and so on. Water is best, or even gatorade.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.