Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Symptoms of schizophrenia- look here

User Profile
I am a psychology student and can tell you that schizophrenia is diagnosed using 5 criteria of which you must relate to all 5 criteria to be diagnosed schizophrenic by a doctor.
The first thing you should know, if you dont already, is that schizophenia IS NOT split-personality disorder so it is not about having multiple personalities.

Read these and see what ones apply to you:

Criteria A:
- The patient must have at least TWO of the following for a significant period of time during a one month period:
Hallucinations (experiencing physically or orally something that isnt there)
Delusions (wrong thoughts e.g. thinking people are out to get them or thinking they are better than they are, grandeur)
Disorganised Speech (when your speech doesnt make sense e.g. you may jump from one topic to another without realising)
Disoraganised or Catatonic Behaviour (being very disorganised or catatonic which means being very stiff or frozen and slow for periods of time e.g. some sz patients can sit frozen in a chair for hours on end without moving)
Negative Symptoms (meaning a lack of something you usually have e.g. inappropriate emotion)

Criteria B:
- They have social and occupational disfunction meaning you cannot function in society the way you used to

Criteria C:
- The symptoms must be persistent for at least 6 months

Criteria D:
- There must be no other mood disorder present e.g. depression

Criteria E:
- There must be no other organic cause e.g. the behaviour is not due to drugs, medication or any brain problems.

I hope this information helps anyone reading this and I am happy to answer any more questions you wish to ask if you message me.
Good Luck.

Read more: Schizophrenia Forum - I think that I may be schizophrenic. Any help? http://ehealthforum.com/health/i-think-tha t-i-may-be-schizophrenic-any-help-t265502. html#ixzz1D2VPlkdo

Read more: Schizophrenia Forum - I think that I may be schizophrenic. Any help? http://ehealthforum.com/health/i-think-tha t-i-may-be-schizophrenic-any-help-t265502. html#ixzz1D2VGDUxM
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank Abi92 for this post: saifal 

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
Experienced User
God bless you! Someone close to me is getting mixed signals from doctors (and her own thoughts)about this. I see Schizophrenia and multiple personality mixed up too often. I'd like to message you if that's alright. Thanks for posting, this is a helpful.

*adding on*

The symptoms you listed are how I've seen schizophrenia but, like I said, lots of psychiatrists over here get it confused. I've been to three.

I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and am being treated for bipolar. It doesn't seem to be helping but I've been on meds for bipolar for years. My new psychologist has referred me to a therapist that I'm meeting soon. The problem is I'm overmedicated and my psychologist doesn't like to adjust/add on/mess with my meds because I'm on a few (I agree).

I wonder if they're treating me wrong or diagnosing me wrong. Most symptoms you listed sound like me too.
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2011
Absolutely feel free to message me and i'll try to help you. I'll see what symptoms you've got that match up and give you advice on what you need to be telling your doctor.
This is the reason i posted this because there are so many people that dont know these things and by me simply posting this will help a lot of people realise that their either do or do not have schizophrenia.
|

replied March 26th, 2011
hi im to scared to go to the docs, i have 5 children, i hear voices in my head, i see things, ie shadows, i get so paronid that people are speaking about me, i get paronid when someone makes me a drink, i feel they are trying to poison or hurt or even kill me, im scared to sleep at night, i cannot go out the house by my self, people look at me, its horrable, please help me, what do i do, its tearing my realisionship apart with my partner, i shout at him its like my head is being played with
|

replied July 10th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
u have a MORE IMPORTANT OBLIGATION TO YOUR CHILDREN so go the your dr and let them help u. . . if u want control over your life then this is HOW
good luck
|

replied February 6th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
And on top of all of those symptoms, you may see certain magical creatures, as aliens, shadow people, or fauns, also called satyrs sometimes.

You will have visions which tell you alot of horrible things about life that really should be fixed.

The ghost or whatever it is that is messing around with your head will probably keep you awake for an elongated period of time.

You may experience clock phenomenon, where everytime you glance at the clock, it will be the same time over and over again. It was 3:00 for me.

You will probably experience more truth than other people, so they won't know what you are talking about or why you are acting the way you are.

Did I mention that there are ghosts or something in my head?!
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2011
Experienced User
magical creatures?
woops wrote:
And on top of all of those symptoms, you may see certain magical creatures, as aliens, shadow people, or fauns, also called satyrs sometimes.

You will have visions which tell you alot of horrible things about life that really should be fixed.

The ghost or whatever it is that is messing around with your head will probably keep you awake for an elongated period of time.

You may experience clock phenomenon, where everytime you glance at the clock, it will be the same time over and over again. It was 3:00 for me.

You will probably experience more truth than other people, so they won't know what you are talking about or why you are acting the way you are.

Did I mention that there are ghosts or something in my head?!

Hey!
Did you mean this seriously or in a joking way? Either way I got some of those too. Just asking because I've had a therapist tell me "shadow people were brains way of manifesting negative emotions I couldn't express". hmmm...
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2011
Seeing magical creatures is not an extra symptom it comes under the heading or psycical hallucoinations.
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2011
Re: Symptoms of schizophrenia- look here
hi doctor
plz tell me something about mood changing disorders and their treatment
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2011
Hi,
I will give you some information about how therapists will treat schizophrenia but this may not apply to ALL mood changing disorders.

One of the treatment options is to take some drugs. There are two types: Conventional and Atypical. There is no real huge difference as they both do the same thing. A possible explanation of schizophrenic behaviour is the level of dopamine in your brain. These drugs balance out these levels to 'normal'. There are benefits to taking these drugs: they are reversable and not invasive, they are quick to administer and work quickly. HOWEVER drugs do treat the symptoms you are getting and not necessarily the cases.

In order to treat both the symptoms and the cause, ideally drugs should be combined with cbt (cognitive behavioural treatment), this just means therapy to tackle your mental health as well as physical. This treatment helps you to overcome the negative feelings and thought you may be having.
An alternative therapy for the cause is Psychodynamic therapy. This involves bringing your conflicts to the conscious mind, so you are aware of them. They will then try to reduce these negative feelings with support and then support is gradually reduced until you feel you are ready to apply wha you learn to a real-life setting.

Hope this has helped, please post again if you have any more quesions or private message me.
|

replied July 14th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Let's put it another way.

I think that you meant to say:

One of the treatments is to put people on drugs and then brainwash them.

Here is how you put it:

In order to treat both the symptoms and the cause, ideally drugs should be combined with cbt (cognitive behavioural treatment)

This is so rediculous it hurts, really.

Wouldn't it be funny if the drugs weren't actually doing anything, ah hahahahaha, mhmmpff.
|

replied July 15th, 2011
hi abi Smile. I've struggled with mental illness since late adolescence and my condition has gotten worse to the point where I can't hold a job or interact socially (I'm in my late 20s). I've never been straight up diagnosed as schizophrenic but I suspect I am. I've never hallucinated or anything, but I do get paranoid to a lesser degree. I also am depressed to the point of sitting still, not taking anything in for long periods of time and my speech, and sometimes my writing, is highly disorganized especially when I'm stressed. I used to be intelligent and now I can't perform basic jobs or concentrate. My psychiatrist says I have clinical depression, social anxiety, ADD and an uncategorized personality disorder which accounts for all this but it doesn't add up. He has treated me on and off with abilify for years and I have gained weight as a result. I have no friends but my family and boyfriend and I used to be a normal, social person who is having unaccounted for personality and cognitive changes. I don't want this to get worse and I'm scared. I'm scared my cognitive issues will get worse mostly and what the future holds. I am applying for disability currently and am supported by my loved ones, to give you a picture of my situation. My questions is, do I sound schizophrenic? I can't afford to see a doctor regularly currently and don't quite agree with my diagnosis. I seem to hit all the criteria for schizophrenia minus the hallucinations, Maybe with the correct diagnosis, things will improve anyway. as an aside, the worst thing about this is the alienation I feel
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....