Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

User Profile
well let me start with i am engaged 2 an amazing man but we have been having some problems lately i started getting really worryed cause all the sudden he was never sleeping i'd wake up all hours of the night and ask him if he was coming 2 bad he would say yes and brush it off but after 3 days of this i got really concerned so after 5 days i finaly got him 2 open up and talk 2 and well his brother was shot right in front of him when he was a kid and he struggled with bad dreams as a result for most of his younger life but they haven't bothered him again till this past week and i'm beginning 2 get really concerned i'm not sure what 2 do we don't have much of an income right now so no money 2 pay for him 2 see any one please any advice would be nice right now thanx

lilbit

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 15th, 2010
Anxiety and Stress Answer A9195
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. From the symptoms it looks like your partner is having post traumatic stress disorder. Symptoms of PTSD include irritability, violent outbursts, trouble working or socializing, flashbacks or intrusive images and losing touch with reality. The symptoms of PTSD may resemble other psychiatric conditions. So please consult a psychiatrist to rule out other possibilities. Treatment involves beta adrenergic blockers such as propranolol (Inderal), alpha2-adrenergic agonists such as clonidine, antidepressants, valproic acid (an anticonvulsant and mood stabilizer), and benzodiazepines (sedatives and anti-anxiety drugs) and these should be taken against a prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.