User Profile
When I breathe through my nose I get a pungent aroma of amonnia. It does not come from my breath nor my body (sweat) or my urine. I know this cause no one else around me smells it. I have been smelling this for approximately 3 weeks now. I have experienced muscle cramping, lethargy, mood swings, and pains through my lower abdomen. What do you think it is and what should I do? It's been more of a nuesance than anything!
Thank you for your time!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2009
Neurological Disorders Answer A5413

According to the major symptom you reported (aroma of amonnia when no amonnia is close), you might be experiencing phantosmia. It is a condition when a smell is sensed that does not originate from any surrounding source. It is usually caused by nervous system damage. The damage can be due to a viral infection, brain tumor, surgery, and trauma. You might want to visit a neurologist to exclude the first two diagnoses.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.