Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

Symptoms of GIlbert's syndrome

User Profile
My doctor diagnosed me with gilberts about 3 years ago and as long as my blood test results come out okay I am given no medication for it.
Just recently I have had dizzy spells, feeling sick sometimes, shaking and I have had a headache now for about 3 days...oh, I have also been needing to urinate more. I don't really know if this is related in any way to the gilberts?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A12376
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether the symptoms that you experience can be connected with Gilbert's syndrome.

Gilbert's syndrome is the most common hereditary cause of increased bilirubin due to the reduced activity of the enzyme glucuronyltransferase, which conjugates bilirubin and certain other lipophilic molecules. It has an autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance. The main symptom is jaundice which is caused by elevated levels of unconjugated bilirubin in the bloodstream (hyperbilirubinemia). There are symptoms such as fatigue, difficulty maintaining concentration, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, loss of weight and others that are reported to appear in individuals who experience Gilbert's syndrome, but are not confirmed with scientific studies.

Given the data that you described, the symptoms that you experience may or may not be connected with Gilbert's syndrome. See your doctor to rule out any conditions such as low or increased blood pressure, hypoglikemia, or urinary tract infection.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options of your current condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Genetic Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.