Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

symptoms of depression ?

hi!
Im a 25 year old guy and think iv been depressed for a long time.I smoked cannabis from the age of about 12 to 19 and think this may be the cause. while smoking the drug id get major paranoid in social situation and think this has stayed with me.
i find socializing with friends increasingly difficult and think i have a negative affect on the group im with. i say things and then worry if they sounded stupid or were taken in the right context.i'll often go over things iv said/done in my head until i begin to hate myself for it.
The last time i was proper happy was at about 19, i was really close with this girl but was so focused on the relationship failing that i never made a move.
Its not like im down all the time i just find life hard. would love to hear what you think, should i see the doc?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Supporter
I'd try and go see a psychologist and talk to her/him. You may have one or two issues to deal with. Possibly Depression. Maybe some sort of social affobia or anxiety. Whilst medication can be good there are also alternatives such as cognitive therapy.
|

replied June 26th, 2008
defin see a doc i have very similar issues... u prob need some therapy and coping methods so when ure in social situations u wont have those negative or worrisome thoughts
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Experienced User
i sometimes do that say something and think about it for ages..i think most people
do..but i would see a doctor and they might refer you to a phycoligist.
Are you a shy person?

Pm Me anytime Smile
|
Users who thank spongebob23 for this post: harmony1 

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Supporter
You're such a sweetheart spongebob23.
|

replied July 4th, 2008
hay guys, thanks for the info!
sorry i haven't been i touch sooner but i'v sort of put it out my mind for a while. not sure if i'm bad enought to see a doc ,might just try some self help. took a look on e-bay and found a cognative therapy book, think its worth a shot?
think i am quite shy and was from a young age, is it shyness? just cant think of anything to say to people, like my minds empty? anywho thanks again!
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Smoking cannabis is a strong risk factor for depression and schizophrenia. Its better to consult psychiatrist to evaluate you.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.