My Grandmother was and my mother is bi-polar. I'm worried I'm next. What do I look for? I have been extremely Happy some days and become depressed others. Plus i haven't been sleeping very well for the past month.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Everyone can have ups and downs. What makes bipolar disorder unique is the extremes of the up and down cycle and the length of the up or down swing. Depression can be mild or debilitating to the point of not being able to perform daily activities and can lead to suicide to find a way out of the hopelessness. The manic side of the disorder is extreme as well and can result in staying awake for days, irritable moods, raging, out of control spending, and many other behaviors. Your mother has bipolar disorder so I assume you have witnessed some of the mood swings and behaviors that accompany the disorder. There are cognitive problems that are common to the disorder as well. Bipolar disorder is genetic. This does not necessarily mean you will develop the disorder. If you think your moods are not within the realm of normalcy then you should see a psychiatrist. You may be experiencing normal ups and downs in life but if you think there is more to it then I urge you to see a psychiatrist. Early intervention and treatment yield the best outcomes. All the best.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
On my down cycle, I just get up and leave out of a marrige or relationship. He'd come home and I would be gone. Then the next week be calling him for forgiveness and pleeding to take me back. I am awesome at doing that. That seems to be the most manic side of my cycle. Others like anitgone said, I will just lie in bed for a couple of days and won't eat. Just get up went I have to for bathroom and something to drink. Everyone cycles differently. I have heard some just get in their car and drive to who knows where cause they sure don't. Antigone is also right when she says Bipolar is genetic. I know for a fact I comes from my mothers side of the family. Looking back, I can see all the red flags that I looked over as a kid.

Carrie
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...