Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Symptoms of bacterial vaginosis or fungal infections

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
After intercourse with my boyfriend without protection last week my vagina was sore a little swollen and it stung when i went pee. all of that went away but now i feel as though i might be pregnant I've been having stomach pains my periods are not normal so im unsure when to test also i have this white tissue like discharge that started yesterday but we had sex on saturday and again the following week. im not sure what this means and im kinda scared we have both been tested and we were eachothers first. HELP?!

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: ScarletBandit 

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A6794

According to the data you provided (sore vagina, stinging when peeing, white discharge), it is possible that you might be experiencing a vaginal infection. It might be caused by bacteria or fungi and actually be bacterial vaginosis or a fungal infection.

Fungal infection is characterized with vaginal itching, painful urination, and a white, smelly discharge. Almost the same symptoms are true for bacterial vaginosis with the exception of the white discharge that is slimier, whereas in a fungal infection the discharge might be more solid falling out in pieces. It might be difficult for a non-medical person to differentiate between these two conditions, so a visit to a gynecologist is recommended.

The fungal infection might arise when the bacteria from the normal vaginal flora are killed. These might happen when too much antibiotics are used or when the acidity of the vaginal juices is changed. The acidity might be affected even with the use of condoms and certain lubricants. Of course, both the bacterial vaginosis and fungal vaginal infection might be transmitted from one sexual partner to another.

Visiting your gynecologist is recommended. A vaginal smear might be needed to detect the exact cause (bacteria or fungi). Urine tests might be taken to check if the infection has spread to the bladder.

The treatment would depend on the results. If bacterial infection is detected, then antibiotics would be prescribed. Anti-fungal medications (tablets or vaginal creams) might be recommended by your gynecologist in case of fungal infection.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.