Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Symptoms of acute and chronic mononucleosis

User Profile
Is it Mono?

I came down with tonsillitis on 31 Dec., and went to see a doctor who gave antibiotics. By 3 Jan., I had my voice back & my throat felt fine.
Other than the very sore throat, I felt totally fine, as energetic as ever, & I continued my daily dance workouts. I still have insomnia.
On 8 Jan., I broke out in pimples all over my face. (Pimples, not a rash). I went to the doctor again; had blood tests, and doctor said I have Mono....

But I think he's wrong: I had him check to see if my spleen was enlarged (it wasn't). I haven't had any fatigue (I'm a life-long insomniac, & I'm as energetic as). I spent most of my hoiday in seclusion, & certainly have NOT been kissing or sharing utensils....

The next day, I was SWOLLEN all over: my eyes were swollen completely shut! I did another tough dance workout, and swelling went down enough to open my eyes. Then I saw I had pimples all over my body!

Does this sound like Mono? Should I get a second opinion?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2010
Mononucleosis Answer A9097
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you may be experiencing mononucleosis.

Mononucleosis is a condition caused by viral infection with the Epstein-Barr virus. The virus affects the lymphocytes and causes weakening of the immune system. Secondary bacterial infections are common in the clinical presentation of mononucleosis. There are two types of this condition: acute and chronic. The symptoms of acute mononucleosis are: fatigue, fever, headache, loss of appetite, skin rash, soft, swollen spleen, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and weakness. The symptoms of chronic mononucleosis are: difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, fatigue that lasts for a period longer than 24 hours, feelings of illness or depression after exerting oneself, which last more than 24 hours following exertion, lack of refreshing sleep, muscle pain or multi-joint pain but lack of swelling and severe or unusual headaches.

Given the symptoms that you described, it is likely that you may be experiencing mononucleosis. You should consider having diagnostic blood tests for mono. However, prone to allergies, you may consider having a list of all the medications and food you take. After the skin changes are gone, you may consider having allergy tests.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options for mononucleosis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.