User Profile
i was having little pain on my thumb. i uric acid was 6.5 when i got tested 15 days before. earlier i was very less water taker. I started taking lot of water (around 3-4 lit per day) and took twice bottle gourd mixed with bitter gourd juice without any medication. Now i m feeling burining while urination and sometime on urethra wihout urination. I went for urine test and repeat test of uric acid. My uric acid now is 5.0 and urine reported acidic urine , pus cell 0-1 and epithelial cells 1-2. Still having burning during urination/urethra. Pl guide what to do.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2009
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A6732

Given the data you provided (mild thumb pain and burning sensation in the urethra with or without urination), it seems likely that you might be experiencing a urinary tract infection. (the reference range of uric acid is between 3.6 and 8.3 mg/dL, so there is a presumption that your results were normal in both cases, although measurement units of lab works were not mentioned in the question).

Urinary tract infection is an infection of one or more of the urinary system organs, most frequently in the urethra and bladder. The usual symptoms are: burning while urinating, cloudy odorous urine, visible or invisible blood in urine, bacteria in the urine, a persistent urge to urinate. Depending on the severity of the infection, these symptoms might be more or less exposed. The diagnosis could be confirmed by urinalysis (urine deep stick tests with urine sediment), and/or by a urine culture.

The treatment of mild UTI might begin with drinking at least 2 liters of liquids daily, cranberries or cranberry juice, parsley tea, and if necessary, continue with uroantiseptics, prescribed by a doctor. Moreover, you might want to consult your family doctor for your concerns about the urethral burning sensation.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.