Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Symptoms of a possible uterine fibroid

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I had a tubal ligation 13 years ago where my tubes were only cut. For the last three months I have been experiencing abnormal bleeding. I saw my GYN doctor they ran several tests I do not have endometriosis, I was negative for hormonal imbalance and also my annuals were normal. I have one more test that is a SIS where they will put the fluid in my uterus they say I have unexplained bleeding and I am wondering what could it be that is causing it. My question is what could I do to stop this bleeding and where do you think the abnormal bleeding is coming from? Is it possible that my tubes grew back? I am in perfect health thank God. Curious to find out what your thoughts would be. They also told me they may put me on estrogen to get my levels back up by putting me on the pill. Do you have any medications to recommend to stop the bleeding? Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A11837

Given the data you provided (tubal ligation 13 years ago, abnormal bleeding, tests for endometriosis and hormonal imbalance negative) you might have experienced uterine fibroids.

Fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors that originate from the muscle layer of the uterine wall. It is usually asymptomatic, but it might cause heavy bleeding when it grows large enough. It might be a cause for painful intercourse, painful menstrual periods, urinary frequency and urgency.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a physical examination and ultrasound scan of the uterus that should be able to show a fibroid if it exists. Hysterosalpingography (an imaging technique that shows the uterine cavity and the Fallopian tubes) might be recommended, too. The treatment would depend on the actual condition. If the fibroid is small enough, it might be removed and the uterus left. On the other hand, if the fibroid is very large, a hysterectomy (surgical removal of the uterus) is usually advised.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.