Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Symptoms of a hypoglycemic attack

User Profile
I have had hypoglycemia for many years with attacks about once or twice a year, luckily. This weekend, I had an attack so bad that I could not speak. My words would not come out right. I knew what I wanted to say but stuttered, repeated partial words etc. I was weak all over with dizziness, disorientation and felt nauseated. I also had double vision. All of my previous attacks have consisted of profuse sweating and shaking. This one was different and I was very scared. I was given some orange juice, a piece of candy which I could hardly chew and then I did ask for two baby aspirin in case of a stroke or TIA. It took three hours to pass where I finally was able to sit up and then eat a meal. I felt terrible and went to sleep. Next day felt hung over. I don't want to run to the doctor if this was just a hypoglycemic attack which I could have prevented. Is this a type of hypoglycemic attack (meaning with the expressive aphasia being so bad?)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2009
Hypoglycemia Answer A8669
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether this type of hypoglycemic attack is bad.

Hypoglycemic attack is a medical term for a sudden state produced by a lower than normal level of blood glucose. It is characterized with: shakiness, anxiety, nervousness, palpitations, tachycardia, sweating, a feeling of warmth, pallor, coldness, clamminess, dilated pupils (mydriasis), a feeling of numbness "pins and needles" (parasthaesia), hunger, nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, headache, non-specific dysphoria, depression, crying, confusion, amnesia, dizziness, delirium, staring, blurred vision, double vision, automatic behavior, also known as automatism, difficulty speaking, slurred speech, ataxia, incoordination, focal or general motor deficit, paralysis, hemiparesis, stupor, coma, abnormal breathing and generalized or focal seizures.

Given the symptoms that you described, it is likely that you may be experiencing a hypoglycemic attack. You may consider seeing an endocrinologist to rule out or confirm diabetes. You may also consider seeing a neurologist for further advice about diagnosis of the aphasia that you experienced because there could be another underlaying condition such as the transitory ischemic attack of the brain, which is characterized with nearly the symptoms as the ones of hypoglycemia.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a endocrinologist and a neurologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.