Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Symptoms of a hiatal hernia and a peptic ulcer

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
User Profile
lanprozole doesnt stop the gas or belching and gas is still there even when not eating Im desperate what can i do to get rid of the gas Im desperate

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Answer A4805
According to the symptoms you describe (belching excessively for many years, tightness in middle of chest) you might be experiencing a hiatal hernia or peptic ulcer. Belching is most often caused by eating or drinking too fast. The air that is swallowed is expelled afterwards. Drinking carbonated drinks such as beer, soft drinks or champagne can also cause burps. If belching is combined with heartburn, dyspepsia or nausea, than hiatal hernia or peptic ulcer may be the real cause. A hiatal hernia is the protrusion of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax, through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm. An X-ray would diagnose the hiatal hernia, while upper GI endoscopy can help in the diagnostics of a peptic ulcer. Meanwhile, taking medicinal charcoal or bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) might decrease the quantity of gas and the burp frequency.

You might want to consult your GP or gastroenterohepatologist for further diagnostics.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.