Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Symptoms indicative of contact dermatitis

User Profile
I was in my gynecologist so many times and I still didn't get an answer! Please help me!!!
I was tested for all STD"s included HIV test and it was all negative! But still I have a problem! My boyfriend has a little red spots on the head of penis and they itch and burns! Also on his face around his mouth or on chicks he has kind of spots or something! I dont think is the herpes, but something like that! After 2-4 days the spots on the penis just go away! After sex he always washes it and sometime he doesn"t have these little spots. I dont know to do with it! I don't understand why is happing that, because I dont have any STDs ... and no yeast infection! What could it be? It"s happing to me for a year and half! I am really scared! Can you please help me and tell what tests should I do??? Thank you very much!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
Skin Answer A8997
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

From the symptom that the red itchy spots disappear after a few days, it seems likely that it can be contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction to the cosmetics, soaps, fabrics, etc., or fungal infection causing balanoposthitis. Balanoposthitis is the inflammation of the foreskin and glans and can be caused by bacterial or fungal origins or by contact dermatitis.

An oral course of antibiotics may be needed. In addition, please don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also, corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean the penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.