Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Symptoms connected with an abdominal hernia

User Profile
I recently began to feel pain from a golf ball sized lump above my navel. I went to the doctor who ordered a CT where they found a paraumbilical hernia. During my post op appointment with my surgeon I mentioned that I still felt the lump and wanted to know if that was normal. He said that my hernia was below my navel, not above it although I am certain that he pushed on the lump above my navel. He seemed a little concerned with the lump that remains above my navel but admitted during surgery he did not go up that far to even see what it could be.

My questions are if a CT scan would have given him the location of the hernia whether it be above or below the navel. Also, what I can do not to find out what the lump is above my navel and whether or not my surgeon corrected the hernia that I thought I had.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2010
Hernia Answer A11219
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether the symptoms that you experience can be connected with a hernia.

Hernia on the abdominal muscle wall may appear along the line called linea alba. According to this the hernia may appear above, below or next to the navel. There are several types of hernias, but most of them are characterized with a lump that goes back in the abdomen upon being exposed to pressure (in the level of the skin) and which during pushing or coughing sticks out (above the level of the skin). If the hernia is strangulated it hurts and can be pushed back in the abdomen.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing an abdominal hernia above the navel. The lump may be a collection of fat tissue called lypoma if it doesn't go back in the abdominal cavity when pressing on it. The CT scan surely shows where the location of the possible hernia is. See an abdominal surgeon for further diagnosis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.