Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Swollen veins on penis

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
I have a swollen, huge vein on my penis, on the upper side, just under the skin both when flaccid and erect. It's very embarrassing since it's about 1cm on the largest size. Ever since I can remember, I have had this vein on my penis, i've never had any pain about it and everything is working fine. I asked a doctor few years ago and he said that it's normal.. But now I need some affirmation. Is it possible that it's "normal" despite it's that large (1cm in diameter)? Could a vein grow to a size when it's dangerous to health? Is there any chance to remove a vein like this from the penis, without causing any trouble, just for aesthetical reasons?
Thanks for your answer in advance!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
Penis Answer A10019
Thank you for your question on

The prominent vein on penis especially during erection is normal. However, the size, diameter of vein is variable depending on arousal. Usually it is increased in size and diameter during erection due to increased blood supply.

The size of a vessel also depends on the size of the organ. If it is not painful or abnormal in any other manner, then it is not a reason to worry about. It appears to be completely normal from what you have described as you have it since a long time.

However, if you think it is getting big in size, it may be a good idea to see your doctor for reassurance. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.