Hi my name is Liam, i have a question and hopefully you can help me.

My grandmother got ammitted to hospital approx 3 weeks ago with appendix, she got them removed and discovered that they were rotten, apparantly they burst on the operating table, her stomach was washed out a number of times and that was ok.

her stomach swelled up and she was unwell for a number of days she was let home last tuesday and immedielty started to have violent sweats her back was paining and her stomach is swelling up she went down hill and began to drift in and out of conciness and was re admitted last friday. since then her stomach is still swelling and has now a bad pain in her back.

please could you tell me whats the matter with her please because we are all worrying.

thanks

Liam
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Since usual signs and symptoms of appendicitis may be diminished, atypical or absent in the elderly, there could be a delay in diagnosis and treatment of appendix, which leads to greater chances for appendix perforation or rupture.
Patients with ruptured appendix have longer hospital stay, because a life threatening complication, a generalized peritonitis often develops.
This complication is followed with another known as paralytic ileus, or bowels obstruction.
Therapy for diffuse peritonitis, includes correction of the underlying cause, administration of systemic antibiotics, and supportive therapy to prevent or limit secondary complications due to organ system failure.
It is a serious condition with high mortality rates.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...