Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Swollen spleen and lymph nodes behind ear?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi, I'm a 20 year old male and for the last 10 months I've had all kinds of weird symptoms that I won't bother to list. I'll just say that it started with all over muscle twitching. Fast forward to now and I still have muscle twitching, joint pain, chest pain, fatigue and now swollen glands on neck and behind ear (that don't seem to respond to antibiotics). My neurologist also recently found out I have a very impaired thyroid gland, which I haven't yet gotten treatment for because my doctors disagree about the cause of it. Neuro thinks it's hashimoto's and family doctor thinks it's a virus causing it to be inflamed.

In the last couple of days I've noticed pain near my spleen and my ribs stick out on the left. In conjunction with these hard, painless glands behind my ear and neck it sounds really bad. I'm really scared because my grandfather died of Leukemia and everywhere I read it says leukemia. I get a CBC tomorrow but I just wanted to know if this sounds like cancer to you? Will the CBC definitely pick up on it if it is?! Very scared.


a very afraid 20 year old
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2017

Based on the description it is possible that the lump you have described could be a enlarged lymph node

Lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, where white blood cells (lymphocytes) mature and ‎‎‎undergo clonal multiplication. The lymphocytes are important for fighting the infection and clearing the ‎‎‎viruses and bacteria from the body. Hence during any inflammation or infection it is common for the lymph nodes to ‎‎‎increase in size and also become a bit tender (pain on application of pressure). ‎

In occasional cases, it is common for some nodes to be continuously active and hence appear enlarged permanently.

In such cases , treatment with antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory measures can help to resolve the condition.

It would be recommended that you consult with your doctor and seek a proper medical opinion.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.