Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Swollen or displaced spleen ?

I just discovered a lump under the left side of my rib cage. It is hard and stable, but not as hard or stable as my ribs. It is not painful at all; I feel nothing when I poke it. The lump isn't visible, but is easy to feel under the skin. I recently lost about 10 pounds. I think the lump may have been hidden under the fat before now, and is noticeable now only because I'm thinner. It seems to be persistent -- It is always there when I feel for it.

I've been reading up on human anatomy, and I believe what I'm feeling is the tip of my spleen.

My question: Is this normal? Can other people feel their spleen under their ribcage? Or is this a cause for concern? Does it suggest that I have a swollen or displaced spleen? Or could it, perhaps, have nothing to do with my spleen and be related to some other part of my anatomy?

-TC
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 29th, 2008
Supporter
It is rare to feel your spleen. How far from your belly button would you say it is? It could just be part of your colon.

I don't think there is much to worry about, but should you have any concerns don't hesitate to see your doctor.
|

replied November 2nd, 2008
It is 5 inches away from my belly button. I think it is in the right place to be part of my colon, but I didn't expect any part of my colon to be as firm as this.

I'm not concerned, but I am curious. I'll ask my doctor the next time I see him for something else.

-TC
|
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...