Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Swollen muscle under right rib cage

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I am female 53 and for the past 3 years have suffered from a swollen and painful right rib cage. I have had an endoscopy, MRI scan and ultrasound for gallbladder all within the last 2 months. The scan showed 2 buldging discs in my upper thorasic spine for which I have had physio. The endoscopy showed up a small hiatus hernia and the ultrasound was clear. My GP also took blood tests for organ function and these are clear.The main problem is that my rib cage is swollen and tender and a muscle/ligament? swells up. The swelling can start at my waist and go up to the top of my ribcage - it can feel like a lump around the bottom rib/kidney area. It was triggered yesterday by sitting in the car (the motion of going round corners). I am restricted to what I can do physically - i.e vacuming, ironing etc as use of my right arm seems to trigger the pain and swelling. My physio said that it cannot be a swollen muscle and it would have healed by now and my GP said that it's not organ related it's muscular. I work as an administrator and have just returned to work after a 3 month absence due to this and I'm not any further on in that time. I would be very grateful for any advice help as I don't know where to go next. I have been at my doctor's surgery many times over this - I feel as if I'm camping out there.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2010
It might not be very realistic to expect that a doctor on the internet is going to be able to provide you with a more accurate diagnosis than your own personal doctor after he/she has already performed an extensive work-up.

You might ask your doctor whether or not he/she believes that your chest/abdominal wall pain might be related to your herniated discs, as your symptoms appear to be worsened with physical activity.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 16th, 2011
Hello, was there an eventual diagnosis for the swollen muscle condition or indeed any treatment. My sister appears to be suffering from these symptoms and gp can't specify what's wrong?
Many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 15th, 2012
I have the same pain, don't know whats causing it.......woke up about a week ago & when I moved the right side I was/am in extreme pain...the stop you in your tract kind.....Had my gall bladder removed in 2007........heat & Ibuprofen help a little, more ease the pain........any suggestions would be helpful.........the pain seems to begin to go away then it's back every morning
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 2nd, 2013
Pain relief
Have you tried gently touching it, putting gentle pressure with your hands and holding it for a couple of minutes? Or maybe formal myofascial release therapy or someone who specializes in visceral massage?

I have similar pain and that's the only thing that helps it.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 15th, 2013
I have this since im 17 teen now 20 first time it happen thought I was going to die the first year pain was contently there then it came and go till last night I have trouble breathing is there any way to get rid of the pain
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.