Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

swollen lymph nodes under my chin

User Profile
I have swollen lymph nodes under my chin straight under my right grinder tooth. it pains sometimes too much that i couldnt turn d left side of my neck.i always want to sleep the right side since if i turn left side it pains. i ve this swollen lymph for around 1year. i visited dr twice, but they said not to worry. i have allergy towards dust and i get cold quite often. i am following homeopathy for dust allery.i don't know whether this might be reason for the swollen nodes in my right neck. i cant bear the pain of swollen nodes some times. please give me some suggestions

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2016
General Q and A Answer A56149
Hello and welcome

Your concern is appreciated

Lymph nodes are found throughout the body which are an important part of the immune system. They help in recognizing and fighting the microorganisms, foreign substances and infections. The name "swollen glands" refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. The medical name for these swollen lymph nodes is lymphadenopathy.

There are certain areas in the body where we can feel the lymph nodes by palpating them in these specific areas which include neck, groin,armpit, under the chin, behind the ears .

There are lots many causes for the swelling of these nodes . The causes may vary from a minor cause toa major and a serious cause. The most common being Cold and flu, Allergies,allergic reaction to certain drugs, tonsillitis, mouth sores, gingival infections and teeth problems.

There are certain associated symptoms (weight loss, night sweats,poor appetite,fever,fatigue) along with this lymphadenopathy in order to differentiate a common cause from a serious one . If these symptoms are present in any patient then lymphadenopathy is considered a serious business.

From your description it seems that the most likely cause could be allergy/cold and flu. Lymphadenopathy in this case is very common and the pain develops often when the lymph node gets infected. Even then you should consult your doctor and if necessary he will advise you some blood and routine lab workup to rule out the other causes which i mentioned before.

Hope this will be of some help to your querry.

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.