Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Swollen lumps after mono

Hi there. I'm an 18 year old college freshman. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis (mono) around march of 2008. While I had mono I took a trip to Disney World, yes its for kids I know but still had fun... but anyway while I was down there I screamed ALOT just random stuff me and my cousin. Now its the end of September and I am still having a constant sore throat and I had these lumps appear in the right side of the neck. They feel sort of rubbery and they slide when I touch them. I have been to the doctor quite of few times about it and she has said there isn't anything visibly wrong with me that she can see. I am also having lots of chest and abdominal pain for the past few months as well. I smoked for a few months but off and on. I would smoke like 8 cigs back to back though whenever I did smoke. Please offer your suggestions.
They would all be welcome.
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Symptoms of mononucleosis usually are most intense during the first two to four weeks of the illness, but, they can last as long as several months period (in small percent of patients symptoms can be present at one year after illness has started)

Young people like you have more reactive lymph nodes, meaning that even the infection has been resolved, lymph nodes can still stay swollen for a longer period.

Chest pains, cough, shortness of breath are less frequently occurring symptoms and signs of mononucleosis.

Do you feel the abdominal pain like discomfort or pressure-like in your upper left abdominal quadrant?
|

replied October 3rd, 2008
It can be anywhere from my right side above my hip all the way to about midway up my rib cage. sometimes but very rarely it can hurt on my left.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
One of the most important complication of mono is swollen spleen and/or swollen liver.
When the pain is felt in upper left abdomen is surely due to swollen spleen and this condition is risky due to spleen's potential to rupture.

Have you been performed full examination recently?
|

like by full examination what all do they do?
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Examination by your physician means touching your spleen and liver through your abdominal wall to determine their size.
An ultrasound can be performed, too.
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...