Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

swollen lump on the top of my butt crack.

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
hello. i have a lump and it swollened on the top of my butt crack. and when i lay down or sit down it hurts. it dosent hurt that much when i walk or stand. also it hurts if i try to lay down or sit down correctly ; i always have to move to feel comfortable but im still not comfortable. like now im laying down regaular and im in pain but im need to be comfortable. what does this mean ?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2011
Skin Answer A24656

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. From your symptoms it looks like that you are talking about either a boil, pilonidal cyst or an anal fistula.

In pilonidal cyst the skin at the top of the butt cracks becomes reddened or even sometimes looks like a small bruise. When it is infected,it causes pain and drainage.Antibiotics or surgical drainage may be required.

Fistula presents as an open hole near the anus on examination and the patient has the symptoms of external opening, bleeding, swelling or pain.

A Boil is caused by an infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle. Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.