Swollen Lump in Armpit; im 19 years old female and i would say for about the last three months i have had a swollen lump in my armpit. Sometimes it hurts but most of the time it dosent.The lump comes and goes it seems but always in the same place. I have been extreamly tired and having a hard time sleeping with a fever and swollen glands in my throat. I went to the doctor without telling them about the lump in my armpit and they thought I had strep but never tested for it just treated and about 4 days into the antibiotics I started feeling sick again. What could this be? Im missing classes all the time becasue all I ever want to do is sleep. Could it be cancer?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2010

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. This kind of bump can be a swollen lymph node, a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

I suggest you to get this lump examined from a physician and get a fine needle aspiration cytology done to confirm the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations, and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.