Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

swollen & itchy hands and palms

User Profile
On friday, i awoke at 4 am with swollen & itchy hands and palms. Also, the heels of my feet were red and itchy. My hands shocked me at their appearance. Almost 2x their normal size. I couldn't get my ring off. I took an advil for swelling & put on Aveeno lotion for the itching. Woke up again at 8 am with additional swelling on the soles of my feet and kneecaps. All of this is symetrical.Same symptoms on the same body parts, opposite sides of body. My feet felt like they were on fire. Knees itched. Eventually, i got a red line on the tops of my toes from my big toe up. Again, symetrical & identical in appearance. I took 2 childrens Zyrtec, that helped with the rashes, but hands still swollen. Very sore joints. Feet hurt to walk on for a day. Over the weekend, most symptoms subsided except for the swelling & tenderness in my hands. Awoke this morning, Monday march 30th, and the tops of my knees again itched and were red. No history of any allergies. Any clue as to what is going on?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2009
Skin Answer A6194

Given the data you reported, you might be experiencing allergy. Since the allergy symptoms are more or less subsided over the weekend, you might be coming in contact with the allergen only during working days.
You might want to visit a dermatologist and have allergy tests to determine the exact allergen that causes the symptoms and to try to avoid it, while taking antihistamines and other adequate therapy.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.