I've had swollen glands in my neck for almost 12 months now. I have previously had some tests done - I have had glandular fever (mono. etc) when I was a teenage (I'm now 35) but not present now and I've had full testing of all other diseases which showed up negative (ie STD's). I've also had a ultra sound on two glands and that came back ok also.

They almost went away but are now back up worst that ever. Is it possible to be an allergic reaction?? I do sufer from a lot of seasonal allergies but control this with antihistamides and a steriod nasal spray.

Should I be worried and get further tests?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2008
By far, the most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is infection. Given that the swelling has occurred for more than a couple of weeks, you need further medical attention. I'd suggest that you request the following diagnostic procedures:

* Blood tests including liver function tests, kidney function tests, and CBC with differential
* lymph node biopsy
* chest x-ray
* liver-spleen scan
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Lymph node enlargement is clinically significant only if its more than 2cm in size, hard or rubbery and associated with constitutional symptoms like unexplained fever, weight loss and drenching sweats.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.