User Profile
My mom has no health insurance due to being laid off. She has had an angioplasty about 7 yrs ago and is currently 46 yrs old. Her symptoms are:
Swollen ankles/itch hands and feet/tiredness/ and her blood work came in just the other day with Tryglycerides at 220, GGT 183, Platelet count at 491, and Cholesterol at 199. What should I do? How much does it cost to get treatments..please further advise thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2009
Heart Disease and Heart Attack Answer A8189
Hi,
Many thanks for posting on the ehealthforum. The swelling of the ankles & feeling of tiredness seems to suggest poor functioning of the heart or what is called congestive heart failure. Her raised levels of GGT are also suggestive of congestion of liver which can happen when heart is not functioning to the optimum.

The triglyceride levels are also raised and she will probably need medications for taking care of the same. She will need further tests like echocardiography which can tell the status of the functioning of the heart.

She will also need an assessment of the kidney function tests as the treatment used is usually dependent on well functioning kidneys.However, I must admit that your treating physician will be the best person to guide you regarding the diagnosis as it's extremely difficult to diagnose online and he/she will be in a better position to guide you about the treatment costs.

I sincerely hoep that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.