Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Swollen ankles and rectal bleeding

Over the past 2 or 3 weeks, several different things have happened that don't normally, and I'm wondering if they could be related, if they could be serious, etc.

I don't usually freak out over random symptoms, but these worry me a bit.

The first was that my period was a week or so late, but I figured that since I stopped using birth control within 2 or 3 months of this, that it probably made me slightly irregular.
But then, when it came, it lasted all of a day, maybe.
Normally, they last 7-8 days or longer, and are heavy.

The second was seeing light, or shadows flitting across my peripheral vision.
My family said that it was probably related to sugar intake, so I've cut out sugar intake, to try and help.

The third is swollen ankles/calves.
From the knees down were swollen from what I guessed was water retension, and painfully swollen on the feet. They didn't hurt to just sit normally, but to touch or bend my toes/feet was, and is, painful.

The fourth, and most recent is rectal bleeding.
The first instance I assumed I was finally starting my period, since I hadn't technically started yet.
But then today, I had to have a bowel movement, and I had to clench my hands because the pain was so searing, and the water AND toilet paper had considerable blood on them. Again, from the rectal area.

So... what do you guys think? Could these symptoms be related in any way?
Could they be something serious, or just attributed to stress, or diet? O_o

Help is much appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
I'd make an appt with your doctor and get a physical / blood work / history and go from there.
|

replied November 5th, 2009
I m 42 and have the exact same problem. My rectal bleeding starts before I start my periods. I have anal sepage, itching, and burning. I have had every test known to man and they tell me everything is fine. I also have the swelling in the ankles and pain like I am bruised below the knees. I have constant blood in my urine as well. I hope you can find something out because I would like to see what your doctor ahd to say about it.
|

replied March 17th, 2010
Rectal Bleeding
I have the same problem of you guys, and start it the same way. Now, I went to the doctor to get a complete physical and to find out, I have ulcers on my large intestine. This was causing me to have the rectal bleeding.

How I get the large intestine to get ulcerate? Well, the food I was ingesting. I learn that my body it's not design to eat spicy food or with a lot of spices. Yes, it's good to eat food with a taste, but you need to know the ingredient in it.

Now, I need to watch what I eat and make sure is not spicy, have a lot of spices, or greasy, because all of this can irritate my intestine again causing me the rectal bleeding. This condition can be control but not cure. Sorry, guys. Another factor that can trigger my condition is the weight, since my intestine is weak now I have to keep the same weight. If I gain weight, at least 5 pounds over, all my symptoms start and my condition became active again.

Let me tell you it's not pretty or fun.

This condition is hereditary but not all members of the family can have it. It may be you have it and the next family member that had it before you was a great grand. You can still live a normal life, but following a special diet and keeping the same weight which this can also affect.

Hope, I help with my insight.

[I being leaving with this condition for 5 years now and I am 37 years old.]
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...