Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Swelling of hands and face upon waking

I am waking up quite often with swollen hands and face. I have peripheral neuropathy but not due to diabetes. Not sure of the cause though. I am worried bc I recently had labs drawn and my LFT showed abnormalities...slightly elevated alt and ast. I am a 37 year old female with chronic back pain from a car accident and two failed back surgeries, so I AM on an array of meds, but most notably I am taking oxycodone 7.5mg 5x daily.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

Generalized body and facial swelling can be caused by many causes. But the association of other symptoms can determine if it is a serious or non serious condition and if medical attention need to be sought for the same.

Skin irritation due to fungal infections or allergy can present with localized skin swelling, redness, itching and in some severe cases pain.

More generalized swelling of the skin (legs, hands , face or generalized swelling) can be due to heart diseases (congestive cardiac failure) or Liver or kidney diseases. These conditions need to be properly evaluated with physical examination and a few tests , to determine the treatment required.

Patients on multiple medications can also develop generalized body swelling as a side effect or interactions between the drugs taken for some other conditions. So a proper assessment of your medications would also help.

Hence it would be recommended that you consult your treating doctor or primary care physician who can help you.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.