Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Swabbing test to rule out urinary tract infection

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
have an urgency to urinate whenever i\\\'m going for a walk .its been like this for a year.been killing off a candida infection also for the past few months.went to 2 doctors urine and blood is clean nothing shows up.i am currently drining sodium bicarbonate mixed with water and it helps a lot to the point that i pee normally,however when i drink it it feels like my bladder wants to pass something that isnt urine.when i dont drink the sodium bicarb its not present.i would love for the doctor\\\'s to have figured it out but i had to go elsewhere to diagnose the candida and the bladder thing i think is related but dont know how

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2010
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A13727
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You Want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Urinary bladder infection is characterized by a frequent need to urinate, dicomfort or pain during urination, itching in the genital area, milky urine or pus in the urine and pain in the lower abdomen. Urinary tract infections are usually caused by bacteria, but they may also be caused by fungus, in which case the infection worsens during treatment with antibiotics and takes a longer period of time to treat compared to the time for treatment of bacterial urinary infection.

According to the data that you described, it is likely that you experience urinary blader infection. You may need to have a swabbing test to rule out or confirm whether the symptoms are caused by fungus. If diagnosed with fungal infection, you may consider taking anti-fungal medications such as clotrimazole.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.