Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Survey: Fastest Healing time for Tibia Fracture

Hi Guys this question is for those that have healed from the tibia fracture after surgery. How many weeks post surgery did your doctor allow you to have full weight bearing? As i have done many research in the internet some people healed in less than 8 weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2013
Experienced User
Just remember Sam1925, you’re asking for answers that aren't necessarily going to be accurate answers. You say some have healed after “8 weeks,” but more than likely that was a low energy break. There is a considerable healing time frame difference from a high-energy, and low-energy. Also different factors like was it displaced or non-displaced; Oblique, spiral, transverse, etc.? Did the person also have a communited fracture? I am simply thinking you might not get the appropriate answer, because there are so many different variables!
|

replied September 11th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Haha yes i forgotten about all these factors. So eager to find someone sharing some Good news of fast recovery despite quite severe tibia fracture Smile
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2013
Experienced User
AT=t Sam1925, you sound sooooo like me! I scoured the internet while down for 3 weeks (doing this even to this day), looking for other's recovery time. So anxious to have some-sort of "time-frame!" Hang in there friend. It's not looking in the future, but rather taking it day-by-day, or you'll end up a disaster! I still have my moments =(
|

replied September 12th, 2013
Experienced User
Ya glxpassat, i did exactly what you mentioned. I enjoyed so much reading the post inside this forum especially those professional post from Gaelic. I guess when you used to roam the jungle and suddenly you are trapped in a hole (Tiger) then you will get sort of panic. No matter how much we pretend to be cool or how strong or active we are before the injury Smile Ok i will try to take it easy Smile Btw, how is your progress so far? Are you still using the cane or successfully started full weight bearing?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
At Sam1925... exactly. My level of activity normally is huge. I feel like a wild animal that has been caged! At times feel I'm going crazy! I have to say, I'm getting better with my attitude, but I do sometimes get a little cranky.

Well, I'm not taking the pain meds every day, so that's a good thing. Also, this past week, I've been sleeping sooooo much better. Not up all night in pain and unable to get comfortable. So, I'm thinking around the 3.5 month mark is when drastic changes start occurring? And I'm still on one crutch. I really have to concentrate however to walk "heel-toe," I kinda want to throw my foot; which then gives me hip and lower back pain. Man, it's crazy how such a simple task is sooo hard now. =) Hope you’re doing well as-well!
|

Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Ya wild animal being caged and so hate with all the cannot do this do that and move around freely and so dependent and so boring and the pain........Sad I stopped the pain med really early i think in less than 10 days after surgery so i understand the disturbing pain when we try to sleep at night Smile Hope you feeling better now and less pain and do well in coming weeks and progress to full weight bearing as fast as possible. For me, i'm going to see my second ortho doctor today for my progress as my surgeon has too many patients and to see him would normally have to wait for 4 hours........Will post the update later Smile
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2013
Experienced User
So, how did your appointment go?
|

replied September 20th, 2013
Experienced User
Oh i didn't go on the 7th week. I went to meet my doctor yesterday and now i'm in the 8th week. Doctor still recommend to take xray only one month later and for the first time he explain the fracture with xray from post surgery to me. Only then i realized the 2 breaks i assumed in my right tibia is actually one long spiral fracture. So confirmed i have one long break in the tibia and one break in the fibula. Hope you heal well and walk again by now Smile
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2013
Experienced User
@Sam1925 - Glad you got some of your answers resolved! When we are put in this position of helplesness, we want anwwers! I know all to well, do keep me posted on your progress. Oh, this past weekend I was able to walk a little with no crutch! WHOOT WHOOT!
|

replied September 23rd, 2013
Experienced User
Oh i didn't go on the 7th week. I went to meet my doctor yesterday and now i'm in the 8th week. Doctor still recommend to take xray only one month later and for the first time he explain the fracture with xray from post surgery to me. Only then i realized the 2 breaks i assumed in my right tibia is actually one long spiral fracture. So confirmed i have one long break in the tibia and one break in the fibula. Hope you heal well and walk again by now Smile
|

replied September 24th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi glxpassat i'm so glad for your latest recovery progress Smile Surely the feeling is really really great and full of joy Smile One must break his leg to truly understand the feeling. Sure i will keep posting my progress from time to time Smile
|

replied October 4th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi glaxpassat how is your recovery progress? Hope you do well and started to walking around Smile I'm in the 10th weeks and need to wait another 3 weeks before i can take the xray. Will continue to update later. Have a nice day everyone.
|
Quick Reply