Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Surgical treatment for abdominal hernias

User Profile
HI, When I lie on my back I can feel on the left side of my lower abdomen a sort of lump, its large 3 - 4 inches. It only causes slight dicomfort when I push on it. Bowel movements are all normal, no nausea, nothing out of the ordinary. Except I do have an exessive amount of gas. I hope this makes sence.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2009
Hernia Answer A7004

Referring to the data you provided (large lump 3-4 inches, no pain, no nausea, the lump can be pushed), it is possible that you might be experiencing a type of abdominal hernia. What exact type of hernia it might be, cannot be determined for sure, because the exact location of the lump was not given.

A hernia is a sac filled with part of the intestines, lacking the normal muscle layer of the abdominal wall. Therefore the sac protrudes outwards presenting itself as a lump. This lump usually can be pushed back in the abdominal cavity, but it is only temporary, since only a slight increase in the abdominal pressure (coughing, defecation, sneezing) might cause repetitive protrusion of the intestines.

The definitive treatment includes surgery in which the abdominal muscles are connected together or the hole is shut with a kind of material.

You might want to visit an abdominal surgeon to check if the lump is really an abdominal hernia, and, if confirmed, whether it is big enough for surgery to be needed, or a kind of waist band might be enough to keep the hernia from additional complications.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.