Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Surgical Scar Healing over Years - Any words of advice

I have an issue with lots of lipomas - small fatty tumors all over my forearms and thighs. I have had about 20 removed from my forearms and the scars are good scars that appear to fade over the years. This is a 3 to 5 year time frame. I'm just curious to know, do scars continue fading throughout your lifetime. I'm having trouble finding encouragement on this since every article I read says they are fully mature at 12 to 18 months which is clearly incorrect if fully matured means faded as much as they are going to fade since I have witnessed continual fading beyond the two year mark.

These scars, even though healing well, bother me quite a bit at times. I would like to know if I can count on them continuing there gradual fade over the next 5 years. Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have had.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 1st, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

For scars which can be due to Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which is a condition where there is an excess amount of pigment following a disease process that affects the skin. Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color. Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color. Microdermabrasion can also be done, but this might require several sessions. Skin resurfacing using lasers is also an option.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

But for surgical scars, laser treatment or plastic surgery is the best option.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.